Alcohol Mandatory Treatment Bill: legal services respond
On 27 May 2013, the North Australian Aboriginal Justice Agency, the Central Australian Aboriginal Legal Aid Service and the Northern Territory Legal Aid Commission made this detailed joint Submission to the Minister for Alcohol Rehabilitation in relation to the Alcohol Management Treatment Bill.
On 7 June 2013, the Law Society Northern Territory Submission on the Bill was lodged.
In a nutshell, they don’t like it. Neither does CLANT.
In a similar vein, on 29 May 2013, NAAJA Principal Legal Officer Jonathon Hunyor delivered this paper, “Territory Lifestyle: Behind Bars?”, to the annual NT Council of Social Services conference in Darwin.
Postscript: On 31 May 2013 the Human Rights Law Centre made this submission to the NT Government on the Bill, highlighting concerns regarding the following human rights issues:
• freedom from arbitrary detention
• the right to a fair trial;
• the right to health and freedom from forced medical treatment;
• freedom from cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment; and
• the right of equality and non-discrimination.